The Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic ensures that the social support system is just and economically sustainable. Its role is to effectively combat poverty and reduce dependence on social benefits.
The Section of Social and Family Policy of the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic fulfils the tasks within its competence concerning social exclusion, poverty, material need assistance, state social support, family policy, social-legal protection of children and social guardianship, social services, financial contributions for the compensation of severe disabilities and activities of medical assessors.
Financial Support of Families with Children
The State provides families with children with the following allowances:
- birth allowance,
- birth allowance supplement,
- allowance for parents upon the birth of three or more children or the birth of twins in the course of two years,
- child allowance,
- child allowance supplement,
- parental allowance and
- allowance for a child in alternative care.
Substitute care of a child refers to:
- entrustment of an under-aged child to personal care of other physical individual than his parent,
- tutor care,
- fosterer care if the fosterer takes care of a child in person. This doesn´t apply if the fosterer takes care of a child in person, whose parents aren´t adult,
- temporary entrustment of a child in the care of a person interested in becoming a fosterer,
- entrustment of a child in the care of a physical individual through the court decision on ordered preliminary injunction, provided that the court received proposal for commencement of court proceedings related to entrustment of the child in the care of this physical individual (personal/ tutor care of a child).
Underaged dependent child that was entrusted in substitute care shall file request at the obliged person through legal representation by the substitute parent for:
- one-pay child benefit payable at the child´s entrustment in the substitute care,
- one-pay child benefit payable at cessation of the child´s entrustment in the substitute care,
- multiple child benefit payable at the child´s entrustment in the substitute care.
Substitute parent shall apply at the payer for:
- multiple benefit for the substitute parent,
- special multiple benefit for the substitute parent.
Social and legal protection of children
The Slovak Republic thoroughly observes the compliance with the rights of the child and ensuring of the protection of a child required for their wellbeing while respecting their best interests pursuant to the international convention.
The basic aim of measures concerning the social-legal protection of children and social guardianship is to provide necessary assistance to families so that children can be raised under the care of their parents.
Social-legal protection bodies regarding children and social guardianship fulfil preventative tasks, particularly in situations where the child’s parents are divorced or unable to resolve problems or conflicts in the family. For example, this pertains to recommending, ensuring or providing social counselling, psychological assistance, professional methods for work on the solution of conflict situations in the family and adapting to a new situation. They may also decide to impose various educational measures if necessary. Local government plays a significant role in preventing the occurrence of crisis situations in the family and in restricting and eliminating their negative impacts.
The institution of the family has a strong tradition in Slovakia; this is reflected by the fact that the majority of children who cannot be brought up by their own parents are entrusted to the care of other family members, most frequently grandparents. The social-legal protection and social guardianship body arranges to find a new family for the child only when child care cannot be provided by other members of their family.